Thursday 20 February 2014

2013 Season Part 3 of 3


Late November and into December we were starting to have some success. Cory took this 7 pointer at his stand, we had pictures of him previously throughout the season. The neighbor took a nice 9 point and Jordan who works for Matt's Dad (Darcy) shot an 8 point. It was nice to see some deer being tagged finally. Matt hasn't shot a deer in a few years and I was hoping he would get one before the season was over, he was hoping to see me tag one. 

 Christmas day I finally gave my bow some use and shot a cottontail. It was a 34 yard shot and the first thing I have successfully harvested. 


 We had nice deer coming to Darcy's everyday, and I had been spending most of the season hunting a blind here. There were a lot of daylight pictures, lots of does and bucks coming and going. It was really cold now later in December, but I really wanted to sit through til the end of the season. Everyone was trying get me my first buck. 
The very last night of deer season and this buck finally walks infront of me. He had a broken point, but was a pretty nice deer for my first antlered deer tag. I had been seeing does for weeks and finally just past 4 pm this guy walks infront of my blind. There was a doe feeding to the right and I had Darcy's new Ten-Point cross bow up and ready to pull the trigger. (awesome scope on this bow with green and red pins and narrow enough to shoot out of a blind comfortably) I waited what felt like hours (only 15 minutes or so) for this buck to take a few steps into range. My heart started pumping like everyone warned me and I was shaking cold. It had been -20 and colder that week. Unfortunately the doe ran off and this buck did too. I had an amazing hunt on my last night and never tagged a deer in 2013. Matt and his family have officially gotten me addicted to hunting and I cannot wait for next year to hopefully harvest my first Ontario Whitetail


Keep reading my future posts to hear all about my 2013 Turkey Season in Algonquin, Ontario.

No comments:

Post a Comment