Wednesday 19 February 2014

2013 Season Part 1

I finished my first hunting season and decided to post the whole story. I have been dating Matt for three years and he has been taking me out hunting since 2012. I instantly was interested in hunting, although I only grew up fishing and camping in the outdoors. Early 2013 I took my hunters safety course and began the season with Matt. 
 I purchased my first compound bow in August, a 2013 Quest Bliss, but planned on using a cross bow and rifle until I improved my skills. 


We started scouting early on. Putting up trail cameras, laying out apples and protein to see if any deer would come and feed. The soy bean fields where we hunt on were growing quick and there was a lot of signs of deer (tracks on tracks). We knew there were a few mature bucks who survived the 2012 season and hoped for photos early on. 




Matt's brother Cory hunted with us in the Fall when he got back from guiding goose hunting out West.  The water levels were so high we couldn't get back to some of our stands and Cory had to come tow us out with the Argo after getting stuck.


I did a solo hunt one morning before work during turkey season and took a walk where I found some deer skulls that the Coyotes must have eaten previously. Matt and I have lure out to try keep the coyote numbers down. Hopefully we take some before the season is over. 

No comments:

Post a Comment