Tuesday 4 March 2014

#ShedRally

Shed rally was this past weekend with many photos popping up on Twitter, it had me even more excited for Spring.

I've been out with Matt before where we have walked the field but never found any sheds. I found old skulls from deer and beaver in the field but have never set out with the goal to shed hunt.

Ontario has had its share of snow this winter. The week leading up to Shed Rally we reviewed several inches of snow and no sign for it to melt. The weather isn't calling for warm temperatures until May, which has me anxious for not only shed hunting, but spring turkey as well.

With Shed Rally happening South of the border I did some research and here are some tips I found interesting from various hunting blogs and sites:

If the winter has been cold look close to where the deer feed, if a more wild winter the sheds will likely be further away.

The best time to look for sheds is when there is still some snow on the ground but most has melted, it makes it easier for your eyes to focus on the antler itself.

Look for sheds where the deer bed, also if there is snow on the ground look for droppings and tracks. Sheds are going to be where the deer are, if there is no sign of deer activity in the area, likely it will be hard to find sheds.

Pack snacks and lots of water, which I know I will need because that's one of the main reasons I leave the bush early is out of hunger. (I am constantly dreaming of bacon cheeseburgers)

Stay focused and keep your eyes scanning for sheds it's when you quit focusing on the goal you will more likely walk over a shed and miss it entirely.



There were a ton of Shed Hunting Tips from various sources and sites, but these few I found interesting and come end of March early April I hope to get to where I hunted last season and maybe find a shed from some of the deer we encountered last year.


Here is a picture of my Bulldog, Scout, with her favorite chew toy.



This weeks shout out goes to www.wiredtohunt.com and thehuntblog.com for great blog posts and information on hunting. I really enjoy these blogs and encourage you to check them out.





No comments:

Post a Comment